Monday, December 1, 2008

Welcome to the Salmon of Rock


Hi, my name is Billy.

I am kicking off my new blog, Salmon of Rock, which I hope will get me started as a music writer.
The format is simple. I like an album. Maybe you'll like the same album. Or not. Either way, there's so much great music to be had these days, it needs to be documented.
If you know me, you know that I think this is a golden age for music. Let me know if there are any great albums you'd like for me to check out. The more music, the better.

First, a little about myself. I'm a 26-year-old reporter from Charlotte who spends his evenings moonlighting as a music writer. I've written for numerous publications, including the Charlotte Observer and Street & Smith's.

Music is my passion. Indie, electronic, soul, hip-hop, trip-hop, white-hot rawk, blues, progressive: Anything that has a soul and shows creativity.

I've come to think I had to be doing this. My evening with Of Montreal's Kevin Barnes made that abundantly clear.

I hope to post a review of a new album each day, grading it on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being Nickelback and 10 being somebody really really good. I also plan to integrate breaking news at some point and interviews with the innovators of our time.

Again, comments will be fantastic. Let me know what you want to see or hear. Enjoy.

BB
billyball24@gmail.com

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nickleback should be a negative five. Boy am I clever!

Joe said...

Nickelback rules!

Lane said...

Billy, you've got some potential here, but, a few suggestions from someone who is compulsive about his internet music intake:

1) you need to preempt the pitchfork/popmatters/cokemachineglows of the internet. otherwise the content seems stale. get the albums when they leak and review them, don't wait until every other sasha frere-jones wannabe has thrown in their two cents.

2) find a niche. reviewing the same records that have been floating around on the buzzblogs for weeks or months isn't going to attract much attention, especially given that so many music blogs are centered around downloads and leaks. I know that charlotte isn't the most fertile ground for up-and-coming acts, but there's enough going on in the triangle to where you could focus on local NC musicians, perhaps embedding songs to stream, etc.

You're clearly a capable writer and discerning critic, so I'd hate to see something with this much potential get lost amidst the madding crowd of music blogs. good luck...